My buddy, Anjali, is pretty serious in the kitchen. I am not. My dinner repertoire consists of a regular rotation of turkey tacos, baked salmon or tilapia, homemade pizza, crock pot pulled pork, and spaghetti-squash-with-crumbled-veggie-burgers-and-marinara. Needless to say, Kevin and I eat out A LOT…
When I was in DC over my birthday weekend, Anj made a delicious lasagna one night. It was so impressive and half of it fed six people. It was a real meal in my book.
I felt inspired a week ago to take a stab at it. Since Kevin and I tied the knot, our kitchen has been filling up with exciting cooking gear + it was time to break some of it in. There weren’t that many steps to the lasagna recipe, and I had a lot of the ingredients at home anyway. It was the first real meal I’ve prepared as a married lady. And, it was AWESOME!!
Behold my very first lasagna in all its Instagram glory:
(I was a little heavy-handed on the cheese, but whatevs…)
Okay, so here’s the recipe:
1 box of whole wheat or regular lasagna noodles
1 16 oz container of part skim ricotta cheese
1 16 oz package of mozzarella cheese
1 smaller package of shredded parmesan cheese
1 box of frozen chopped spinach
2 bottles of marinara sauce (whatever flavor you prefer)
Dried basil, oregano, or any other Italian seasoning
Red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to whatever it says on the lasagna noodle box.
2. Boil lasagna noodles according to box.
3. Defrost spinach.
4. Mix together spinach, ricotta cheese, and half a jar of marinara sauce. Season to taste with dried basil (or other Italian seasoning), salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
5. In a 9×13 inch baking pan, pour some sauce, lay down three cooked lasagna noodles, add 1/3 of the spinach ricotta mixture, and then sprinkle mozzarella cheese. Add sauce, noodles, ricotta, and mozzarella cheese for a total of three layers. After the last layer of noodles, add remaining sauce, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese.
6. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for however long it says on the box. After that amount of time, remove foil and broil for 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese.
7. Cool for 10 minutes.
8. Slice and serve. Enjoy!
Make this lasagna. It’s really pretty easy, super delicious, and you’ll feel like a grown up in the kitchen! It lasts forever if you freeze it properly, too.
Categories: What we're Cooking